THE DELHI CO-OPERATIVE
SOCIETIES ACT, 2003
(DELHI ACT 3 OF 2O04)
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title, extent and commencement.
Registration of Co-operative Societies
4. Co-operative societies which may be
5. Restrictions on registration.
6. Restrictions on holding of shares.
7. Application for registration.
8. Power of the Registrar to decide certain
10. Registration certificate.
11. Bye-laws of co-operative societies.
12. Amendment of bye-laws of a co-operative
society and compulsory amendment of bye-laws by the Registrar.
13. When amendments of bye-laws come
14. Change of name.
15. Change of liability.
16. Amalgamation, transfer of assets and
liabilities and division of co-operative societies.
17. Power to direct amalgamation, division
and re-organisation in public interest, etc.
18. Registrar to prepare scheme of
amalgamation of co-operative bank in certain cases.
19. Liability of a co-operative bank to
the Deposit Insurance Corporation.
20. Cancellation of registration certificate
of the co-operative societies in certain cases.
Members of Co-operative Societies and
their Rights and liabilities
22. Persons who may become members.
23. Nominal or associate or joint member.
24. Member not to exercise rights
till due payment made.
25. Votes of members.
26. Manner of exercising vote.
27. Restriction on transfer of shares
28. Transfer of interest on death of
29. Liability of past member and estate
of deceased member.
Management of Co-operative societies
30. Final authority in a co-operative
31. Annual general body meeting.
32. Returns to be filed to the Registrar
after annual general body meeting.
33. Special general body meeting.
34. Constitution of committee.
35. Election and nomination of members
36. Removal of committee or its officer.
37. Supersession of committee.
38. Securing possession of records, etc.
39. Acts of co-operative society not to
be invalidated by certain defects.
40. Expulsion of members.
41. Cessation of membership of co-operative
42. Directions by the Registrar for successful
conduct of business.
Privileges of Co-operative Societies
43. Co-operative society to be body corporate.
44. First charge of co-operative society
on certain movable assets of member for the amount due to him.
45. Charge on immovable property of member
borrowing loans from certain co-operative societies.
46. Charge and set-off in respect of share
or contribution or interest of members.
47. Share or contribution or interest not
liable to attachment.
48. Register of members.
49. Admissibility of copy of entry as evidence.
50. Exemption from compulsory registration
51. Exemption from certain taxes, fees
52. Deduction from salary to meet co-operative
society's claim in certain cases.
Properties and funds of Co-operative Societies
53. Funds other than net profits not to
be divided among members.
54. Contribution to charitable purpose.
55. Contribution to Co-operative Education
56. Investment of funds.
57. Restrictions on loans.
58. Restrictions on borrowings.
59. Restrictions on other transactions
Audit, inquiry, inspection
61. Inspection of co-operative societies.
62. Inquiry by the Registrar.
63. Inspection of books of indebted co-operative
64. Cost of inquiry.
65. Recovery of cost.
67. Rectification of defects in audit,
inquiry or inspection.
68. Power to summon and examine documents
and persons, etc.
69. Maintenance of accounts and books,
Settlement of Disputes
70. Disputes which may be referred for
71. Reference of disputes to arbitration.
72. Power of financing bank and federal
co-operative society to proceed.
Special provisions for Co-operative Housing Societies
73. Application of this chapter.
75. Limit on membership.
76. Rights and privileges of members on
allotment of plot or dwelling unit in a co-operative housing society.
77. Allotment of plots, flats or houses
through draw of lots.
78. Provision for nomination.
79. Restriction on transfer of share or
interest of a member.
80. Permission for transfer of occupancy
right not to be ordinarily refused and provision for appeal.
81. Creation, maintenance and utilisation
of building and replacement fund.
82. Registration of mortgage in favour
of co-operative housing society or apex.
83. Settlement of disputes.
84. Recovery of outgoings and arrears of
dues as arrears of land revenue.
85. Recovery of dues and foreclosures.
86. Expulsion of a member.
87. Additional grounds for Cessation of
membership of co-operative housing society.
88. Management of co-operative housing
89. Maintenance of essential services in
co-operative housing societies.
90. Co-operative housing society to maintain
register of its properties with prescribed details.
91. Special provision for regularisation
of occupancy right of persons who have acquired such a right through the
instrument of power of attorney or agreement for sale.
92. Execution of housing project.
93. Management of co-operative housing
complex by co-operative societies.
94. House building co-operative societies
which have achieved their objectives.
Winding up of co-operative societies
95. Dissolution of co-operative society
96. Dissolution of co-operative society
by the Registrar.
97. Winding up of co-operative banks at
the direction of the Reserve Bank.
98. Reimbursement to the Deposit Insurance
and Credit Guarantee Corporation by the liquidator.
99. Appointment of liquidator.
100. Duties of liquidator.
101. Powers of liquidator.
102. Disposal of surplus assets of liquidated
103. Final accounts.
Execution of awards, decrees, orders and decisions
104. Enforcement of charge.
105. Execution of orders, etc.
106. Execution of orders of liquidator.
107. Attachment before award.
108. Recovery of debt.
109. Registrar or person empowered by
him to be civil court for certain purposes.
110. Recovery of sums due to Government.
111. Special powers of Registrar for
recovery of amount recoverable as arrears of land revenue.
Appeals, Revision and review
113. No appeal or revision in certain
114. Delhi Co-operative Tribunal.
117. Interlocutory orders.
Offences and penalties
118. Offences and penalties.
119. Prohibition of the use of the word
`co-operative' or its equivalent.
120. Punishment for offences not otherwise
121. Cognizance of offences.
122. Presumption as to commission of
offence in certain cases.
123. Presumption as to statements.
124. Address of co-operative society.
125. Copy of Act, rules and bye-laws,
etc. to be open for inspection.
126. Power to exempt co-operative societies
from conditions as to registration.
127. Power to exempt co-operative societies
from the provisions of the Act.
128. Officers and employees to be public
129. Notice necessary in suits.
130. Companies Act not to apply.
131. Saving of existing co-operative
132. Bar of jurisdiction of civil or
133. Powers of civil Court.
135. Service rules for employees of co-operative
Rules and Miscellaneous provisions
136. Power to delegate.
137. Power to make rules.
138. Power of the Registrar to give directions
to the co-operative banks.
139. Right to information.
140. Act to override other laws.
141. Repeal and savings.
142. Removal of difficulties.
The First Schedule
[See Section 2(g)]
* * *